Thursday, September 11, 2008

New (and scary) Territory

Today marks a big turn in my methods of mothering and how much bigger my bag of tricks needs to grow to keep my big boy occupied with wholesome, "Little House On The Prairie"-like amusements. (I actually believe that was the best day and age to raise children.)

Check out the picture of Hunter doing the Sesame Street Website games ALL BY HIMSELF! HUH???? How (and when) in the world did he get the fine-motor-hand-eye-thinking capacities to do this???? Every day he adds more big-boy skills to his repertoire and my mind just can't process how fast he's growing. I have had him on the computer around 5 times in his entire life and it's always been with me doing all of it. It's been quite a while that we've been on the computer together since Nathanael was born because I just haven't had the time or patience to sit and play the games for him.

So, Nathanael has been going to bed around 6 or 6:30 (PRAISE GOD!) and Hunter doesn't get to bed until around 8, so this gives me a good chunk of time in between their bedtimes where I can get things done around the house and/or spend some special one-on-one time with Hunter. Tonight I decided that the computer room needing dusting/vacuuming and thought, "hmmm...I wonder what would happen if I got Sesame Street on the computer, sat Hunter down, and did my cleaning? Am I setting myself up to just have to stop every 5 seconds by putting him on there by himself?" I spent a minute or two showing him the cursor and the mouse and how to right click, and voilah! He sat there and played (changing the games all by himself) for a good 20 minutes while I cleaned. All of my beliefs about our kids today being way to dependent on electronic fun ran through my mind. "What on earth am I doing?" I thought. "Is this too early to start him on this? "

About 20 minutes later when I said it was time to get off he had a major melt-down and I thought, "Oh boy. Here we go." I need to come up with a computer-time strategy now or I'll be in for a mind-numbing 15 more years of this.

I think kinda already know what I want to do with limiting/rewarding "computer time", but I was curious to hear everyone's ideas on how you would handle it. Care to share?

Grandparents if you're reading this I'd love to hear your wisdom most of all. It only takes a second to comment and put your two cents in! :)

4 comments:

Mama Burd said...

Hi Teri- one thing that works really well for us in the preschool is using a timer-- but not just your typical timer (though this could work too), but a time timer (www.timetimer.com)-- this website is just an example, because you can buy them much cheaper at the teacher store. If you click on "See how it works" at the bottom, there is a computer version. But, for Hunter's benefit, it's best to have one on the desk next to him or something so he can see it. Anyway, it shows them in a visual way elapsed time. Since elapsed time is such an abstract concept, it helps little ones be able to see when the time is getting short. We always say "When the red is gone, you need to be finished". :) It helps them to self-monitor. Hope this helps! It works wonders for us!

Anonymous said...

Hi Teri,
I think its important in this day for kids to know how to use the computer. I do share your concern, however, about kids who are glued to the computer or TV. Sarah's idea of getting a timer and setting it up right in front of him sounds like a good one. As she said, that will help him learn about time as well. Good luck with this! Mom

Kara said...

All great ideas! I was going to suggest the timer thing, too - but Sarah beat me to it! Ha! Ha!

Another idea might be to set up a plan so he "earns" computer time by doing certain things (going potty, picking up toys, or whatever you happen to be working on at the moment). You can put up a chart or make "tickets" for small increments of time (say, 5 minutes) that he earns. Then, when he wants computer time, he decides how many he wants to "spend" and you set the timer. This will also give him a heads up on balancing a budget! :)

You are such a great mom! :)

Amanda said...

But...if computer time is used as a reward (like so many people use candy and sweets as a reward and some psychologists think that could be linked to weight problems later) it may become too much of a big deal, do you know what I mean?