Sunday, October 20, 2013

Rainbow Charts, Portfolios, and a Sleep Eater

Moments like these can make a mama's heart melt. 
And the moment when a mama realizes that her toddler can sit still and play on a blanket for close to 35 minutes can make her heart proud and thankful that she's guaranteed a nice chunk of sanity uninterrupted time twice a day. 
Here's a recklessly irresponsible photo of Levi toying with his big brother's caught lizards in their tomb of doom (as I have decided to call it) by shoving an ice-pick into the air holes we created with said ice pick over and over and over and over again.  And yes, I monitored this practice very carefully in case you were wondering.  I even took some video of him doing it because I was so impressed at how engaged he was in the practice and how long he was focused on it.  He did this for at least 20 minutes.  His daddy was horrified when I showed him what I thought was a super cute video of Levi showing diligence, perseverance, and excellent fine motor skills while doing this activity.  Apparently Levi's daddy didn't think that shoving an ice pick into a make-shift lizard cage was a safe scenario for Levi to be practicing these skills.  *sigh*
He was SO proud of himself for putting all the wooden screws in his tool box.  He's also been loving his little Sesame Street ABC chart which he holds up while attempting to sing his ABC's. 
We have been proud of Nathanael as he's been doing much better than we anticipated with his behavior in his kindergarten class.  His teacher uses a rainbow chart behavior system. I decided to recreate one for him in an attempt to get the same kind of compliance from him at home that his sweet teacher gets from him at school.  So far......well, we'll see.
Sundays are my resting, lazy days. I usually allow the boys to watch an unhealthy amount of TV on these days, but last Sunday I was thankful they decided to play together with this toddler duplo ramp thing for quite a long while.  It's amazing how the "toddler" toys can hold the big boys attention. 
Library time has become a weekly routine around here and Levi is really getting the hang of it.  He stays on his carpet square and Hunter sits behind him coaching him along through the songs and action poems.  It's pretty awesome and adorable and another thing that makes my heart melt. 
Here's Levi putting his fingers to his cheeks during "If you're happy and you know it".  He's figured out to do this during the "then your face will surely show it" part and Hunter thinks it's hilarious and so cute when Levi does this.  I have to agree with him. 
In week 6 of Classical Conversations Hunter rocked it out in an "Around the World" style review game.  He is doing well with his memory work.  I'm so proud of him.  The students also got to work on their final art piece incorporating all the elements of shape, perspective, shading, mirror imaging, coloring, etc that they've learned in the first six weeks of fine arts.  Next quarter is tin whistle and Hunter is excited to learn how to play this!
I got to hang out with these cuties for part of the morning during CC week 6's meeting as well. Adorable.
Levi is pretty pooped during the car ride home on Tuesdays as after lunch at CC we go grocery shopping and then race to get home in time for Nathanael's school dismissal.  One of his favorite snacks is an apple.  He decided to eat one and take a nap at the same time during the car ride home.  Ha!!

Hunter writes every day.  Sometimes he summarizes the Bible passage we read for the day.  Sometimes he writes and illustrates a story.  Last week he wrote a letter to a friend of ours (and former student of mine) who is in boot camp for the Air Force right now.  :)  What he said to him was pretty cute. 



 

Here's a picture Hunter reviewing his spelling rules and adding suffixes to the words in his Language Arts notebook. 
Classical Conversations breaks for the quarter every six weeks and a friend of mine introduced me to this cool way to review the CC memory work during the week of break.  A bunch of us moms got together and bought these pdf files from a brilliant, CC, mommy blogger that designed all of this stuff.  I'm so glad I bought it! Hunter and I slaved away all day on his CC Memory Work notebook.   I got a 2 inch binder so that I could also use it for a portfolio to hold all of his work for the year as well as all the cute, memory work items. 
The cover and the tabs with subjects that we're studying this year. 
The English grammar that he's memorized so far.  We're still working on some of the pronoun lists.  They're all pretty similar and hard to differentiate. 
I thought this next one was so cool!  He's learned to skip count up through the 12's and there's a card for every number sequence.  We hole-punched in the marked areas on the top card and when you place it over the bottom card that says, "Skip Counting Fun!", you see the sequence for that number!  Very innovative!
He's memorized 6 science sentences from environmental science topics and the first 6 verses of Ephesians 6. 
7 history sentences from the Middle Ages. 
Geographical items from eastern Europe. 
And I put all of his Math assessments and writing from the past six weeks in the binder as well!! 
It was so encouraging to get this all put together and see how much Hunter has accomplished in just 7-8 weeks of homeschooling!  I am having such a great time homeschooling him and look forward to seeing how much we can learn together as we finish up the rest of the year.

No comments: