Thursday, April 3, 2014

We've Never Been Good at Keeping a Secret

 Here's a hilarious story that some of you may or may not know.  The pastor who performed our wedding, Pastor Fisher (or Pasta Fishah...as I like to call him), had this special portion of the ceremony where he had the groom and bride hold each others hands and look at them.  He said lovely things as we looked at each others hands such as, "These are the hands that will comfort you when you are sad.  These are the hands that will take care of you when you're sick." Etc.
 
When we were meeting with him prior to the ceremony he told us about this sweet little hands thing and read it to us in its entirety.  We shuddered when he said, "And these are the hands that will hold your firstborn child."  Ummmm.....sorry Pastor.  We're not having kids.  Not ever.  So, could you take that out of our ceremony, please?  Like, really and truly, we are not gonna say that.  No kids for Josh and Teri.  Period.
 
He graciously obliged us and took that part out and we sighed in relief.  We were confident and in control and knew what was best for our new life together!   Being DINKS (Double-Income-No-Kids) was the way it was going to be for us and we were certainly looking forward to it.  Besides, an endocrinologist diagnosed me about a year before our wedding with Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, and told me it would be extremely difficult for me to get pregnant without medical intervention.  Pheww!!  Sounded fine to me!  Went along perfectly with our plan.  What luck!
Fast forward to a few months after we were married and I decided to go on this no-sugar kick as I started to learn about being healthy.   Along with that I read about how the pill wreaks havoc on a woman's system and decided that I no longer wanted to mess my body up, so I quit taking it.  I was safe anyway because of that PCOS thing, right?  WRONG!

Due to the fact that balancing insulin levels can have a hugely positive affect on fertility issues, my quitting sugar and the pill around the same time meant that six months after we told Pastor Fisher to take that hands line about the children out of our ceremony, I was pregnant.  The day I found out was a horrible day in our lives.  We got into a huge fight.  Our plan had been foiled.

As I'm sure you can guess, we soon came to be so grateful that God intervened and saved us from our plans for a pompous and childless life. 
Fast forward 9 years later and here we are with three happy, healthy, gifts from God. We fully realize how stubborn, stupid, and selfish we were on that day we demanded our pastor remove the idea of us having children from our wedding ceremony.
So much so that we asked Him to bless us with another child and He has said, "YES!"   We know that there are some that will think we have rocks in our head and we're crazy or irresponsible and that we're too old (I'll be 39 in September).  It's to them we say that these are the lives the LORD has given US to lead and we believe Him when He said,   
The boys are thrilled and are already showing love to their new sibling by praying for him or her.  Both Hunter and Nathanael took it upon themselves to begin the job of naming this new little one within moments of hearing the news.  And they are taking it very seriously.  While Nathanael has already decided that the baby's name should be Jesus, Hunter has taken a more sensible approach and has had his nose buried in a baby names book for the past few days, taking notes of interesting ones and his favorites.
 And yes.  If you haven't figured it out already, we are definitely thinking another BOY.  We have a 75% chance of having another boy...not that I've researched it or anything.  And if that were the case we would be relieved, thrilled, and our bank account would thank us profusely.
If it is a girl....well....we don't want to go there quite yet.   Regardless, we know that God knows us better than we know ourselves and we trust Him to make the right choice for our family.
 Here's a video of the boys' reaction when we told them:
 
Our new addition is due to arrive in mid-December 
and we can't think of a more perfect Christmas present for our family!!!

Praise GOD from whom ALL blessings flow!

1 comment: