Monday, December 8, 2008

Snow in Naples

On Saturday the boys and I went to Snowfest while Josh worked overtime. I have to admit that although I tried to maintain a positive attitude for the boys, I was not a happy camper. You had to park at Golden Gate High School (2 or 3 miles from the actual event), wait in line for 40 minutes to get on a bus, load all your gear and stroller and kids on, get off the bus, set up your stroller, get your junk and go. I have to admit that I when I pulled up to the High School and saw how long the lines to get on the busses were, I hightailed it out of there. A volunteer said it would be a minimum of a 40 minute wait.

Hunter was so bummed so I tried to see if there was a way I could park closer to the event and walk. Luckily there was a deputy that Josh knew directing traffic when we got there and he let me in to a nearby residential area to fend for myself finding somewhere to park. We walked about 1/2 mile to get to the area where Snowfest was. Once we got in we walked another 1/2 mile or so through a sea of people to get to the very back of the event area where they had three little mountains of snow. Then you waited in line for a while (we waited about 25 minutes) all for your kid to be able to play in the snow for a measly 3 minutes while a volunteer timed each group of kids with a stopwatch. This, as my husband said, is torture for a little kid who has longed to play in the snow and make a snowman and only gets three minutes of time to do this. I left feeling SOOO grateful that we are going to West Virginia in two short weeks and Hunter can play in the snow at Nana's house all he wants!

Waiting in line...
Waiting in line...

Woo hoo!! We finally made it! Hurry up and play as fast as you can!


Here's video of Hunter climbing and sliding on the snow pile. His glove fell off with about 20 seconds before we had to leave. The poor kid. He was crying for about 10 minutes after we left. I would've cried like that too if I were him.

3 comments:

Beth H said...

A great idea for Naples, but oh so poorly executed!! That's exactly why I never go. I guess I now know what we're missing out on and...honestly, I don't feel too bad.
Love your stroller though...what kind is it?

Ohilda said...

Not sure how I came across your blog, but I'm glad I did. We have 3 little ones and live in Ft. Myers. We were so looking forward to going to Snowfest, but a family emergency came up and we missed it.

I can't imagine waiting in line that long with these little ones for them to only be able to play 3 minutes. I'm now glad we didn't drive all the way down there to be disappointed.

Art Teacher said...

What a great mom you are to go through all of that for 3 minutes of snow fun. I love Hunter's hat!