Saturday, October 24, 2009

Kombucha ROCKS my world!

Deeee-licious and Nutritious!!!

I have been drinking the apple-cidery, vinegary Kombucha tea for almost two months now since my good friend Beth's husband introduced me to it. (Thank you so much, Brian and Beth!!! You two truly are my Obi-Wan Kenobis in regards to so many healthful living practices! You're awesome!!)

It is a fermented tea beverage made from green or black tea, sugar, and a S.C.O.B.Y. S.C.O.B.Y. stands for a Symbiotic Culture of Bacterial Yeast. After a period of 7-10 days the scoby processes the tea into a vinegar-like concoction that detoxifies your body as well as delivering beneficial probiotics, PH-balancing acids, and MONGO vitamins that give you an awesome energy.

There are many claims of the benefits of Kombucha tea. Among them are:
1. Increased energy
2. Loss of body odor (due to the detoxing part...but the first few weeks you smell like a gorilla...mmmm, mmm, good!!!!)
3. Improved skin clarity
4. Decreased body aches and pains
5. Improved digestion and.. ehem... bathroom experiences (from the probiotics)
6. Thicker hair
7. Boosts your immune system (from the probiotics)
8. Regrowth of original hair color (if you're gray)
9. Increased metabolism resulting in weight loss
10. Regulation of body weight
11. Increased muscle mass
12. Decrease of candida issues
13. Decrease of sleeping issues

The list goes on and on and on, but the list above are the most common effects of Kombucha. I have personally experienced the FIRST SEVEN of these benefits in spades!! It has been sooo great!! Truly. I am no where NEAR as tired as I used to be as long as I'm consistent with my Kombucha. What a gift! Now if I could just get my butt in gear, add exercise to the mix, and figure out my wicked-PMSey-mood swings I'd be golden!! Ahhh....dare to dream!

Since reading The Maker's Diet many years back (I highly contribute what I learned in that book to getting pregnant after being diagnosed with PCOS) I've known about the importance of pro-biotics in one's diet. However, I've just started to learn about the many benefits of fermentation from this AWESOME book and Kombucha beautifully delivers both of these beneficial food traits. MAN! I am SOO excited.

I have been slowly bringing traditional food preparation practices into my kitchen with baby steps and I have been so pumped with the results. We've been baking all of our own bread, fermenting Kombucha, juicing, drinking raw, unpasteurized milk via our CO-OP from a farm in Sarasota, making homemade chicken stock from the whole chickens we eat on a weekly basis, and eating lots of fresh organic veggies and fruits from our CO-OP. Next on the list for me is learning to properly soak and sprout grains for bread and making kefir.

WHEW! I digress.

I just wanted to tell you all about how great of an experience I've had with Kombucha over the past several weeks. You can get it at Whole Foods for around $3-$4 for a 16 oz bottle, but I'll be posting a tutorial on how to brew your own for SUPER CHEAP in the next couple days. I have to say how grateful I am to our Awesome God for creating all of this nutritional goodness to enjoy. You know how some people go to Alaska and they experience a total awe of our Creator and all that He has made? Well DUDE! Kombucha does that to me! I just want to break out and sing, "How Great Thou Art!!" and my soul praises God for making this stuff! Yes, it's true!! I am so sick of all the processed junk that our culture passes of as food and am so jazzed about getting back-to-the-basics, BABY!

How to make your own Kombucha...coming soon!

PS - In case you're interested in doing your own research, there are a few sources that I have learned about Kombucha from
-Brian and Beth...obviously
-The life-changing Nourishing Traditions book that I've been reading has a section about it.
-I googled "Kombucha blog" and came up with oodles of results
-I joined a yahoo group on Kombucha that has a lot of members. I get about 100 emails a day from that group. TMI, if you ask me.
-I bought this book from Amazon, and it's been a really easy read and very informative.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Ohhhh Teri, Teri, Teri. I still love you for it. :)

Beth H said...

What a great post!!! ...and thanks so much for all the compliments. You are always, always, always welcome to pick our brains as long as we can pick yours on other stuff.
I think my next post will be similar!

Erin said...

wow - i had never even heard of this. maybe this is something i should add to my "raw"ness- i think my body is already enough in shock as is... hee hee. seriulsy though - very interesting. terri - can we please reschedule that play date? beth, maybe you could come too! that would be so fun! amanda, you could too, but it might be a long drive. boo hoo!

Amanda said...

I'm pretty sure the cheeseburger, french fries and Mt. Dew I had yesterday made me feel REALLY good and super energized!!!

...Or maybe it's a placebo effect.

Michele said...

OK, thanks for the craving Amanda!

Hey Teri, I saw Kombucha pills at Whole Foods yesterday (at least, I think that's what that was). I *might* be up for that, if I can take it once and it be over. What do you think?

Kendra said...

Can you email me the recipe? Candcyouthleader@yahoo.com