Friday, February 19, 2010

Bible Verses

Hunter has been working HARD at memorizing his Bible verses! I was looking for a group of meaningful verses for him to memorize and came upon this book last year. Daddy usually reads from this book during Bible time in the evenings (when we get a chance to do it...we've been kind of slacking in that department lately..). I LOVE the verses that have been chosen for this book and love the stories about each verse even more. The author does such a great job using a real-life situation that children will probably face at one time or another and applying the meaning of the verse to help the child deal with the situation in a biblical way.
I made a chart for Hunter last August and to be honest, with all the travel we did in the fall, we didn't get very far. We're getting back on track now, though and Hunter has a great time telling me his verses (including their addresses) so that he can earn little prizes. In order to earn a prize he must say a group of three verses six times each without any mistakes. He gets a sticker for every time he says the verse correctly. When he fills up the spaces for all three verses he earns a special toy that I have displayed right next to his chart so that he can see what he's working towards. He's allowed to see it, but never allowed to touch it until he's said all the verses. As of yesterday he's memorized 12 verses!!!
So far he's earned: a Schleich rock guy, bow guy, shield guy, and a most recently a Prince Caspian sticker book. I got all of them on clearance and have a couple more prizes in my stash for him to earn. I think the next one will be an "I Can Read" book on Narnia.

Ummm...can you tell my kid is just a teensey weensey bit into weapons and battles?

I've been so proud of what he's accomplished so far!! Josh and I both pray that the Lord will use His Living Word in Hunter's life in order to accomplish His purposes in our son.

Way to go, Hunter! Mommy and Daddy are proud of you!!!

1 comment:

Grandma 'Elson said...

Grandma is proud of you, too!