-The KEY to getting the best deal on your groceries is to use the coupons when the item is on sale. I've learned that most items in the store are on a 12-week sale cycle. So, if you're really serious about saving the most money, you shouldn't use your coupons right away, but when they go on sale. I've also learned that as you're starting out, it's hard to balance your needs from what you should stockpile because it's on sale. For example, I didn't really NEED all of the pull-ups I got a CVS a couple of weeks ago, but the extra care buck deal and the coupons made it worth while to spend the extra money on because it was such a good deal.
-I spend 1-2 hours a week clipping coupons and filing them. I get the from the Sunday paper and am always on the lookout at stores for promotional coupon books. I've found a TON of these at Publix. Sometimes, if they are really good coupons, I'll take a few copies and clip away!
-I've been organizing my coupons in the three-ring binder pictured below. I went to OfficeMax and got baseball card holders for $2.99/10 pack and got those little sticky tab label things to put on the sides. (I saw a lady on her blog say she got her baseball holder pages at Walmart for $1/10 pack, but I looked and looked and could not find them.) I organized my tabs by where I put the items away in my kitchen and also by type of item. I've seen other women's blogs where they got one of those BIG zipper binders which holds more stuff like scissors (when you find a good coupon in a flier at the store that you want to clip and use right away), and sales papers, and receipts, and then they can zip it all up so that no coupons fall out. I'm probably going to get one of these soon. I'm gonna check this Sunday's paper and see if I can catch any last-minute BackToSchool sales.


-I am making a weekly menu for what we're going to have for lunch and dinner. It's not set in stone and it's not always perfect, but it helps a lot with making my grocery list and sticking to it. Sometimes I've been able to see what's on sale make a couple of dishes with that info, but for the most part I've been sticking to the meals we're used to eating.
-I spend 2-4 hours a week (WAAAY too much) looking at coupon/sales blogs to see what deals are coming up for the three stores I've decided to focus on shopping at:
- Publix (They take ALL competitors coupons and are VERY friendly about coupons in general. They also have some awsome buy 1/get 1 free sales that you can use 2 coupons on! You can use a coupon on the second item even though it's free!)
- CVS (ExtraCare Bucks deals are AMAZING! Especially if you have a coupon with the item! You can click here to learn about how to use them)
- Walmart (They sometimes have a better regular price then the sale prices at Publix and CVS. I just really try to remember as I shop what items I frequently buy cost at Walmart and then I know if the sales at Publix or CVS would be worth it or not. The coupon blogs really help with this information too)
SOOOO...Before couponing I was spending about $225-$250 a week on groceries with all the organic milk and other organic items I was buying. After couponing, I'm spending on average $150 a week and I'm getting about 30% MORE than I used to as I stockpile what's on sale even though I might not really need it right now. Hopefully as my stockpile grows, I will spend less and less on groceries. My goal is to get to $85-$100 a week in the next 3 months or so.
Here is what I got at my three stores 2 weeks ago:
WALMART: $54 and change
I find that Walmart has the best deals on produce, but their organic selection of produce is pitiful. You can find a list of important produce items to buy organic here. A couple of good deals with this trip: Kashi Cracker normally $2.79. I had a $2/1 which made them $.79 each. Cascadian Farm organic cereal normally $2.88. I had a $1/1 coupon which made them $1.88 each.
I find that Walmart has the best deals on produce, but their organic selection of produce is pitiful. You can find a list of important produce items to buy organic here. A couple of good deals with this trip: Kashi Cracker normally $2.79. I had a $2/1 which made them $.79 each. Cascadian Farm organic cereal normally $2.88. I had a $1/1 coupon which made them $1.88 each.

PUBLIX - $87 and change PLUS I walked away with a $10 JC Penney Gift Card
The big bottles of listerine (for Josh) were on sale for $3.79. I had a $2/1 coupon which made them $1.79 each. I got four bottles. Contessa frozen meals (REALLY GOOD for when you don't have time to cook dinner) are normally $6.99 but were on sale for 2/$10. I had $1/1, so this made them $4 each. I got 6 of them.
The big bottles of listerine (for Josh) were on sale for $3.79. I had a $2/1 coupon which made them $1.79 each. I got four bottles. Contessa frozen meals (REALLY GOOD for when you don't have time to cook dinner) are normally $6.99 but were on sale for 2/$10. I had $1/1, so this made them $4 each. I got 6 of them.
CVS - $61.50 PLUS I walked away with $10 in Extra Care Bucks to use on my next visit
GRAND TOTAL- $203 and change

GRAND TOTAL- $203 and change
This was a big spending week, but I stockpiled a lot of needed stuff! I had coupons for about 30%-40% of what i bought. There were only a few items that I needed that were not on sale or I didn't have a coupon for.
Whew..I'm done. Sorry about the long post and if it was a little confusing. Hopefully it might give you an idea or two on how you can save a few $ in your weekly grocery shopping!


6 comments:
One thing that helps me is having my husband go with me, though this is a bad idea for a lot of people. But you could have your hubby look over your list with you or a third party to say, "Um...do you really need that?" John and I ALWAYS spend less when we are together. And NEVER buy anything just because it's on sale and be careful not to "stock up" on things like...Oreos...because you'll just end up eating them all faster. But stocking up on diapers, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. is a good idea!
Thanks for all the tips. I need a lot of help with coupons. I can't figure out the coupon clippers site. Maybe Erin will help me.
Hi Amanda!
Very cool idea to have your husband go with you. Mine is working so much that he kinda leaves it up to me.
And...you got me on the Oreos. You're right about that. I bought those as part of the Kraft deal to get the $10 JC Penney gift card at Publix. The thing is that my husband eats this stuff whether I buy it at the grocery store or not. I am constantly finding wrappers for this kind of stuff that he buys at convenience store when he's out working or he stops on the way home and brings it in the house so that he can watch TV and relax while eating "real food". I've tried reasoning with him to eat healthier, but he really just doesn't budge. So...in an effort to save the convenience store cost of this food, I go ahead and buy it. If he knows that he can snack on it at home, then he won't stop at the convenience store and it won't cost us the extra $.
Teri I have found that Target has really great Archer Farms Organic products and their "organic" section seems to grow and grow. Maybe some of your coupons will be worthwhile there?? Miss you, we need to get together soon. What are you doing on Labor day?
Yeah, Dan goes with me too and it helps a ton. Also, PUblix lets us use as many coupons for 1 item as we have ( I get mine from www.thecouponclippers.com) as long as we do not go over the cost of the item into the negative. So if we have a 50 cents off of salsa and we have 3 of those, we can use it, and the salsa costs like 20 cents. I had no idea they would let us do that, but they do!! So fun! I am getting better, but still not great. Just started getting the Sunday paper. Yeah, def best to use them when things are on sale! Thanks for all your tips Teri! Miss you, girl!
WOW! I totally did not know that you could use more than one coupon on one item at Publix. That's CRAZY! Publix is so awesome! Thanks for the tip, Erin!
You guys are so helpful! I can't wait to go grocery shopping!
Good points on your husband, Teri. My husband's company gives them all the free snacks and drinks they want and I take that for granted!
I figured out the coupon site...I was going to the wrong one. It must be my 9 1/2 months of pregnancy.
Post a Comment