Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy (bodily fluids) Mother's Day!!!!

I woke up yesterday morning to a disturbing and mysterious concoction of bodily fluids in Nathanael's crib. Josh was not due home till 6:30 pm, so I spent the day doing several loads of laundry, taking Nathanael's spiking temp (got to 103), administering tylenol and chamomile tea, and watching "Out of the Wild" episodes 1-4 (nice reality check).

Thankfully, along with being very ill, Nathanael slept a total of 6 1/2 hours worth of nap yesterday which afforded me lots of time to clean up and do laundry. Poor little thing. Don't know if it was a virus or food poisoning or what...but he's doing much better today after drinking LOADS of artificial G2 gatorade (UGHHHHH), throwing up a few more times, having nasty diapers, and sleeping another 11 hours last night. And...no throw up since yesterday in the parking lot at the airport when we were picking up daddy! YAY!!!

We're still on red alert though. Here's a pic of sicky Nate hanging in his carefully covered bouncy seat this morning:
I don't really know how to describe this...but in a nutshell, Hunter has adopted this Aquafina label as an essential part of his daily garb as a modern superhero. I think the look is supposed to be "Spiderman", but I'm not positively sure. What I do know is that he takes this very seriously and walks around with not so much as a hint of a grin. This is NO laughing matter. He's on serious business when this mask goes on and there's no joking around allowed.

And no...he's not sleeping. He's totally watching TV in this pic.
Josh says I get to take a raincheck on Mother's Day...
We shall see!

PS - For the first couple hours yesterday I found myself wallowing in pity...stupidly (and sinfully) comparing my mother's day to that of countless other moms I know who experienced a great day of pampering. After many thoughts of prayer as I did my work, the Spirit of the Lord rested upon my heart. A spirit of gratefulness and hope. Sure..I could compare my situation to that of some of my Naples mommy friends, or I could compare my situation to that of the countless Haitian moms I met years back who slept on dirt floors when they were nine months pregnant, watched some of their own children die due to lack of food and medical attention, and never so much as had a finger lifted in help from the father of their children. I was also reality-checked with thoughts of eternity. And how much all the dumb stuff I get upset about is going to matter in light of eternity. I'm so thankful for my Lord who speaks so clearly to my heart when I need it. Who makes me grateful for His transforming work using all situations to mold me and make me after His will.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I can totally identify with the revelation from the Lord that the Enemy wants me to compare to everyone else, but my Heavenly Father knows that a day of being spoiled and pampered is not my true style. I am much more content (even though the Devil tried to convince me otherwise) doing the things I normally do: taking care of my home, preparing meals for my family and sharing in the togetherness of home. I appreciate your transparency, and LOVE that you were able to be home, focusing on Hunter and poor sick Nathanael yesterday. What a special gift to have spent Mother's Day being the awesome mother you are! I love you!

Erin said...

I too appreciate your tansparency. Thank you for sharing that, dear friend. You are one of the best mommies I know and are SO creative in all that you do with your boys. I am sorry Nathaniel was so sick. I sure hope he feels better. I also bet you are VERY happy to have Daddy home. Oh, and I can't stop laughing about the Aquafina label.

Michele said...

I LOVE the super serious water-label man! hahaha. Hunter is sooooo cooool!!!!

Amanda said...

Hunter is sooo hilarious. I am so glad you have pictures to document this.

And, I am very sorry if I made you jealous of my pizza rolls for Mother's Day. Not everyone can be as blessed as me!

When did you go to Haiti? I went there, too! I don't know if we knew that about each other.

Art Teacher said...

1. Loved your reality check...I need that more often.
2. Love your super hero, that is the funniest thing I've seen this morning, I'm still laughing
3. I'm sorry your baby was sick, but I'm glad that he got rest and is feeling better now.

Jennifer said...

Hey Erick and I would love to babysit for you, you said the end of June right? Pray for Erick, we were in the hospital all night, he has kidney stones :(