Please don't burden yourself with reading the above italicized garbage for too long, as it's a COLOSSAL waste of time, of course. However, taking a peek might be profitable in that you'll learn how clueless people are about "religion" and not being able to differentiate what true, devoted followers of Jesus are from mainstream "religious" people. After reading you'll also (hopefully) leave with a sincere feeling of sympathy for these miserable people that clearly have nothing better to do than to lambaste the Duggars CONSTANTLY with total ignorance of what the they really stand for and are about. And you thought I was obsessed! These people and the way they know every DETAIL about the Duggars make me look like a newbie! Hopefully I'll be able to make my blog public in a few more months when those twerps calm down and comments about my blog are lost w-a-a-y down in the thread line.
We have re-introduced Blanket Time in our household. There's tons of info on this technique if you google it. For starters you can check out this, this, and this. When I first heard Mrs. Duggar talk about it (I think it was in their second TV special), Hunter was a little too young for it yet. I was TOTALLY intrigued, however and made a mental note to implement it when he was old enough. I learned more about it when I read one of the Babywise books. I'm can't remember if it was the first or second book. I think it was the second, which is for ages 6 months and up. I began doing blanket time with Hunter when he was around 18 months or so. Once I had him trained, he would stay on his blanket and play quietly for a half hour to 45 minutes!! It was such a blessing when I was taking a shower, getting dinner ready, etc.
I was still using it last summer when Nathanael while nursing and Hunter was 2 and 1/2. It was a great way to keep him busy so that I could focus on the baby. But, as with lots of things in my life, I started getting lazier and less diligent with enforcing strict blanket time with him and he began getting up and talking to me and walking around and I forgot that he was supposed to be on blanket time. I was probably on the computer or something. :) You know how THAT goes!
Well, blanket time is back in session and to help explain how to do it I've written a summary of the way Mrs. Duggar has explained it in her book. (Please note**she calls it "Sit Down Time" for her older children. I'm guessing 4 and up or so. They have to sit in a chair at the table and work on an activity instead of being on a blanket.)
1. Announce that it's blanket time in a cheery voice. Say things like, "This is going to be so much fun!" and "You're going to get to play with such a special toy!" Etc.
2. Lay out the blanket, place the child in a sitting position on it, let them choose a toy from a basket (or you can choose the toy for them..that's what I do), and tell them in a nice voice that they must stay seated on the blanket and play quietly with their toy.
3. Set the timer for five minutes for the first time. You will gradually work your way up in time intervals with each new blanket time.
4. If it's the first or second time, stay right in view of your child and praise them for doing such a good job sitting still and being quiet. If they try to get up, immediately correct them (i.e. spank...and make it count! It REALLY works, let me tell you!) and tell them again that they must be seated on the blanket and play quietly with their toy. Continue to do this and use a sterner and sterner voice every time you have to correct, but NEVER yell or lose your temper. When they are doing what they are supposed to, be sure to praise them.
5. Enforce the idea that they must SIT in one spot. Rolling around and twisting their body into a pretzel is not allowed. They will also learn very quickly that if they throw their toy off the blanket, they will not be allowed to crawl off and get it.
6. If they make loud noises, correct them for it and tell them that it's time to be quiet and play on their blanket.
7. When the timer goes off announce that blanket time is over and celebrate with lots of hugs and kisses and making a BIG deal of how proud you are of them. Parade around the room with them and let them get out all the energy that they kept under wraps while on blanket time.
7. Practice blanket time 2-3 times a day as needed.
I first started doing this with Nathanael one week ago and set the timer for 5 minutes. On the first time I followed the instructions above and he had to be "corrected" about 5 times. He cried the whole time.
The second time I did it with him, he sat still and did exactly what he was supposed to at first, but I had to correct him once about 2 minutes in. He cried the rest of the time.
The third time he did it PERFECTLY with NO corrections. We've been working our way from 5 minutes to up and over ten minutes ever since.
Hunter has picked up right where he left off and since we've been more consistent on correcting him immediately for other forms of disobedience, he's needed NO corrections for blanket time! :)
Here is how blanket time went Friday evening. This was Nathanael's 7th or 8th blanket time:
5:31 - I excitedly told the boys it was blanket time! That it is gonna be soo much fun and they were gonna play with some toys! Hunter put his own blanket down and I did Nathanael's and placed him sitting on it.
5:32 - I set the timer for 11 minutes
5:34 - Here is a picture of the boys 2 minutes in.
5:35 - I have to tell Nathanael, "Shhhh!! No talking! I gave him a little bop on the mouth with my hand. Nothing major.5:38 - The picture below was taken.
5:42 - 10 minutes in...the picture below was taken I have not had to say even 1 word to Nathanael since the quick little, "No talking!" 7 minutes ago. 
5:43 - The timer went off at this point, but I was in the middle of cookin a quesadilla, so I had to wait till that was done. They boys continued playing quietly. Not a peep!
5:46 - Last picture taken and immediately afterwards I announced that blanket time is over!!!

"What a good boy, Nathanael! I am SOOO pround of you!!" and I held out my arms to come to me. He's been smiling SOO big after blanket time when I praise him. It's been AWESOME!

At this point I allowed Nathanael to walk around the house. Hunter, however, was so involved with his puzzles that he wanted to stay on blanket time. He was allowed to talk freely as he wanted, mostly, "No Nathanael! This is MY blanket time!!! Mom!! He's trying to get my stuff!!!" I would come in and gently say, "No Nathanael, come here to mommy," and he'd turn around and immediately walk right toward me. I've been praising him each time he obeys quickly on the first time that and since I've been Duggarizing it's been about 70-80% of the time! Yay Nathanael!
5:52 - Hunter is asked to clean up his alphabet puzzle and come to the table for dinner.


This has been SO awesome and I've been amazed that Nathanael, 15 months, has been able to show such self control! I think that it's definitely up to the parent to decide what age would be appropriate to start blanket time for their child. I NEVER would have expected Nathanael to do this well and am so glad that I took a chance and gave it a try! It makes me feel so good that I'm training my boys early to be self controlled. I'm so proud of them both!! Wooo hoooo and YAY for the Duggars and their willingness to share their parenting techniques that really work!
8 comments:
I have been planning to start this with Maryn soon.
Anyway, I think it's so neat how into it Hunter was. It is clear that kids, especially those with siblings, actually need times like this to concentrate, use their imaginations, and just have some quiet. How lovely. :)
Word verification for this comment was: Butgend
I love, love, LOVE it! Though Christopher is usually pretty good about entertaining himself when I'm busy, it would still be a good thing to implement to re-inforce the importance of self-control!
My word verification was "Matistl" - perhaps the crazies who had such a fit about "MacKenzie" would prefer that M-name! Ha! Ha! ;)
What in the world is wrong with the name Mackenzie? I have known several little girls and women named Mackenzie, and I think it's cute. I think Maryn is cuter, but you know.
I totally should not have read that link, either. Why are people just so mean?
It's astounding the lengths that people go to on that site to tear the Duggars apart, isn't it?
I truly feel sorry for them. Can you imagine being so miserable that you have nothing better to do than that all day? And the way that they memorize and dissect every little detail about their show is just crazy!!! LUNATICS, I tell you!!!
So....I saw your work in action today at the gym. I watched you sit both boys down and tell them to stay there...and they did!!! Way to go Teri!!! I need to work more with Hannah....she gets away with WAY to much.
But Hannah is so CUTE!
:)
Teri- this was sooo awesome to see in person the other day at your house. I was blown away and still think its just amazing. Way to go... and, let me borrow that book in about a year or more... :)
Did you learn about this and the other parenting stuff from their book? I have been meaning to get it and it sounds like I really should!
I cannot believe that people like that really exist...it amazes me that they hate them so much but they take the time to watch their show so that they can comment on every little detail...?!
I like the name Mackenzie too!
I think you need to teach blanket time at one of the upcoming MOPS meeting! :)
Post a Comment