Josh is off the detox diet. :( It only lasted a day so I still have tons of veggies left over from the recipes I was supposed to make for him. Therefore, instead of the weird, cow cud recipes with no salt or fattening dressings, I am making lots of salads for him instead. He likes it much better this way because then he can eat whatever unhealthy dressing he wants to cover up the taste of the cow cud stuff. I think he feels the Coke Zero that he drinks with them really seems to compliment the salady flavor, too.Yesterday I made him a salad with lots of stuff he normally doesn't eat and he ate it! This made me very happy. I made a salad for Hunter too, but smaller and he ate it too!! :) I'm a happy woman when my boys eat healthy!
Salad Ingredients:
-Organic Field Greens
-Grilled Chicken Tenders in Olive Oil
-Radishes
-Alfalfa Sprouts (These are supposed to be REALLY good for you)
-Broccoli
-Raw Pumpkin Seeds
-Radicchio
-Fennel
Please note that the Coke Zero was Josh being humorous.
My 2 year old does not drink that toxic sludge. No offense to anyone who does drink it, though.

For any moms out there whose kids won't eat veggies, please know that neither does Hunter. It's usually a fight at every meal. However, he LOVED the idea of getting his picture taken while he was eating them and then seeing what he looked like eating his food. So, if your camera is lying around it's worth a try!

If you've never had fennel in it's fresh state and you like the taste of licorice, you should really give it a try sometime. It's supposed to be very good for tummy ailments and for cleaning your blood. They had it on sale last week at Wild Oats. You can always find it there. I'm not sure about Publix, though.
What can I do with it, you ask? Well, you can sauté it with a salmon fillet, eat it in a salad, or just munch on it by itself. Or check the internet for some other ideas. It really is very tasty. The bottom part looks like an onion with fingers and the soft, green leafy tops are the herb part. I think there are also seeds that go with the plant that are an herb too. God has made such a variety of cool foods for us and we still tend to stick to the same old boring stuff that we're used to. Be adventurous and try some fennel!
5 comments:
2 things...
1. What the heck is cow cud???
b. I'm impressed at your efforts to keep your boys healthy!
Hey you! So when will you be back? That little story about Hunter was adorable!
I love the Zero Coke in the picture. My daughter will down the Mountain Dew!!!
cracking up about hunter asleep in the toy bag. :) precious!
Hi Teri-
My family is Italian, and me and my cousins grew up snacking on fennel and olives while the grown ups cooked whatever meal they had planned for that particular holiday. I think it's funny to picture all these little kids running around with fennel in their mouths and olives on their hands, but we did! Glad you like it!
Post a Comment