Monday, June 30, 2008

Sticky Issues

I'm a little bit of a granola nutcase regarding lots of things. Some people would even say an alarmist.

Medical intervention for instance. I'm having a really hard time with the idea of getting Nathanael a CAT scan when the specialist we recently saw said he was positively confident that Nathanael did not have the craniosynastosis that we feared he had. But, he wanted him to get a scan just in case. I hate the fact that he'll have to get drugs to sedate him and I also fear him getting cancer later on in life due to the exposure to the CAT scanny particles or whatever they are. This concern was validated on a recent trip I made to my new favorite store and restaurant, Food and Thought, when I read a handout in their restaurant about The Top Ten Medical Myths.

Myth # 8 Is....Routine X-Rays Aren't Dangerous - The UK National Academy of Science believes that x-rays could be responsible for 4% of leukemia and up to 8% of all other cancers (WDDTY vol 4 no.6)

UGH! Coincidentally, when I further researched online I found some more information talking about the above stated as well.

Another instance of my natural nutcaseness is with overly analyzing personal care and food products for questionable ingredients. A website I frequent quite often is SkinDeep which is a database where you can type in the name of most any personal care product (lotions, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.) and get a rating of how safe its ingredients are.

Yet ANOTHER issue that has come to my attention is that of the dangers of Soy. Read that link if you have time. Holy cow. Totally scary stuff if you ask me. I knew that soy had phyto-estrogens and stuff but I did not know the extent that it could mess up little babies and kids.

Sorry if this stuff annoys you (like it does my husband) or if you now think that I'm a totally freaky, Birkenstock wearin', tree huggin' liberal. (Gag) But I can't help but be concerned about this stuff.

4 comments:

Renee said...

I am not annoyed by your post. As a matter of fact, I love your fact finding adventures. Because of you, I too have learned how to do my research and look deeper for answers. Remember the "admendment issue"? You and another friend of mine sparked enough interest for me that I too became very educated on that issue. I was deeply alarmed by what I read and now look at the state of our state!! If only others would do their homework insteading of believing what the media feeds us.

Jennifer said...

I love it...keep posting your granola tree huggin' stuff. You know I don't think your a nut :)
Great talking with you today.
Lets keep each other posted with important "healthy" or "unhealthy" information

The Patterson Family said...

I'm so glad to have found your blog! The only problem is that I need about two hours to go back to all your old posts and read them! Not only do you me me laugh but girl - you are a source of some very valuable information! I praise God that He has given you your heart's desire...to be home with your sweet boys.

Michele said...

Yay!!!! Now I have links to some of your favorite websites:-) Thanks for posting all of this.