Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Monumental Day...

Let's just pretend that I published this post a week ago...like within a day or two of Hunter's first day of T-ball, K? Then you won't think I'm such a slacker of a mommy. How pathetic is it, by the way, that I put off writing and publishing this all-important first-day-of-t-ball post last week so that I could instead show off my Publix 71% off grocery shopping spree?! I will now be accepting nominations for my very my very deserved spot in the Mothering Hall of Shame.

Yes...it seems as though we are going to be THOSE kind of parents whose kids are involved in countless sports (as long as they're enjoying it, of course) and Josh and I will be in the stands screaming for our boys (and at the refs whenever they make calls against our perfect little cherubs). It may sound kind of funny, but I really do believe that God had a hand in prepping me to be a soccer mom for my two boys. He knew that He was going to gift them with unusual and amazing athletic ability..ehem...and so He saw fit to make me a PE teacher a few years back, much to the surprise of many...me included.

You see, I never really participated in competitive team sports. I really loved gymnastics, but never had the opportunity to get really involved, and of course it's not a team sport either. I tried out for the basketball team in 7th grade with virtually NO experience aside from PE and I pretty much got laughed out of the gym. I headed straight for the drama club and never looked back.

I planned on being a SAHM, but I had to go back to work after Hunter was born when we ran into some trouble building our house. All FBA had open at the time was the girls' PE position! WHAT? I'm a math teacher. My principal and Josh were really encouraging so I prayed about it, actually had a dream about it, and then quickly, but nervously accepted the position.

As my first year of teaching PE progressed I began to really see the value of team sports. SO many benefits: it gives opportunities to teach good sportsmanship, how to respond to failure, how to work together as a team, how to give God the glory for the gifts and talents He's given you...the list goes on and on. I learned so much. And God TOTALLY has used that to create a desire in me (their dad had already developed it with his own experiences in sports) to use sports to teach them BIG lessons in life.

And so..it begins with our 3 1/2 year-old Hunter in T-Ball:



Nathanael was totally cool & happy watching everything as long as his supply of cheese crackers didn't run out!

Ummm....yes...here we are. The Naples, FL version of the T-Ball Clampet Family. Trust me. If you would've seen the other posh parents at this game, you would have to agree that we were, indeed, the Clampet-est. We parked our almost ten-year old Passport right next to Jaguars and Lexuses. I was the only mom there in a non-matchy-work-out outfit with my stylin' holey jeans and t-shirt. And just scroll though the pics again and check out my hubby's sporty white socks and black tennies. Ooooooohh.... how I love a man in white sox and black shoes. BABY!!! He wanted me to let everyone know that he doesn't give a rip if it does look clampety, by the way.... Ahhhh...and he's mine. All mine!

WAY TO GO, HUNTER!!
WE'RE PROUD OF YOU, BUDDY!!

5 comments:

Erin said...

you are cracking me up!! love hunter in t ball. so cute :) and i think you guys look great !!!

Jennifer said...

You Clampet's are just my style, so I love you all the more for it! I would be right there with you, so NOT fitting in with Posh Neapolitans! David tells me all the time that I am SO redneck. Anyway, Nathanael had no worries of his cheese crackers running out, thanks to the awesome deals you got on your Kashi stockpile this week! :)

Michele said...

I was looking forward to T-ball pics. Thanks for the post....you guys are a cute family.

Kara said...

I, too, love the Clampet look! I much prefer it to the posh look - much more comfy! :)

Congrats Hunter on your first T-Ball experience!

Amanda said...

Thank you for keepin' it real in Naples!

I mean, it is a t-ball game for goodness sakes.