Saturday, March 20, 2010

Breakfast Delight on My Dairy Soapbox

*** I want to preface this by saying that I am by no means an expert on this stuff, but I do have strong convictions about it. Take what you like and leave the rest***

I am a big believer in whole foods and trying to keep them in the most original form that God made them in. For example, I'm a big fan of non-homogenized, un-pasteurized RAW milk. You can check out an awesome and informative website on the subject HERE.

I was getting 3-5 gallons of raw milk a week from a farm in Sarasota through my organic food co-op, but we lost our distributor a few months ago. :( Total bummer. So I try to do the next best thing, which is the dairy foods I buy I try to make sure are made from whole milk.

This little breakfast treat that I whip up on a regular basis (just did this morning, in fact!) uses the BEST of the whole milk dairy products in my fridge!

Ingredients:
Strawberries - cut into bite sized pieces
Bananas - cut into bite sized pieces
Whole Milk Yogurt
Heavy Cream whipped by yourself - works best if you chill your bowl first and expect it to take around 3-5 minutes of whipping. I usually whip until it creates a stiff peak when I lift my whisking device away from it.
Chocolate Chips - optional
Granola - IDEAL ingredient for this, but I was out of it this morning and my kids had already chowed on some other grains, so I didn't feel bad about leaving it out.
To make: Layer all of it in a bowl with the whipped cream and chocolate chips on top and enjoy!!

We were using the cream from our raw milk to do stuff like this, but since we don't have that option anymore I get heavy whipping cream from my local Sam's (I've seen it at Costco too...). It's not totally organic, but it doesn't have growth hormones or antibiotics...and it's less than $2.40 a quart! This size at Publix in the generic brand is over $3 and it's not hormone and anti-biotic free. I used to use a hand mixer, but ever since the kitchen aid beauty pictured below came into my life as a unexpected Valentine's Day gift from my man, it's a whole lot easier to make whipped cream! Thank you, babe!!!
Nathanael sure likes it!!!
To be honest, Hunter is not a fan of whipped cream. He doesn't like sour cream or cheese right now either. He used to love that stuff, so I'm sure that he'll come around again soon, but with the dense, heavy bones and stocky characteristics of the Pence boys build it is essential that he gets as much dairy and calcium intake as possible. I make sure our fridge is always stocked with whole milk and whole milk yogurt and I try to get him to have some every chance I get.

I have been adding heavy cream to homemade soups and oatmeal. It gives everything such a rich flavor and velvety texture. I'm a big believer that the body needs fats to function properly and I reject the idea of low fat foods being better for you. If God intended animal products to be low fat, he would have made them that way in the first place! Once you go messing with stuff and taking it out of it's original form you're just asking for trouble. Fat is essential for function of many vital organs in our body...especially for little kids!!!

I am very fortunate that my kids don't have any aversions to dairy. When they were tiny babies and I nursed, they both seemed to have an upset tummy when I ate dairy, so we held off until 8-10 months with introducing it and now they are both fine. YAY!!

I've read that if your child has a sensitivity to cow's milk the next best thing would be products made from goat's milk. Soy is not the best option...especially for little boys!! From what I understand soy can be nutritious and good for you if it's eaten in small amounts and in it's purest form. It does contain phyto-estrogens and some people think that when males drink too much it can make their hormones big time imbalanced. Many of our packaged foods contain soy in a chemically messed with form and that is never good, so I try to avoid foods that have "soy isolates" and all that garbage. It seems to be in everything.

So, right after I typed that I was curious and went and checked the package of my chocolate chips. YEP. Soy is in there. MAN ! It's so hard to avoid that stuff!!

In closing, I believe that our culture thinks it has the most sophisticated ideas about nutrition and yet, we are the un-healthiest country in the world. We promote a low-fat, non-fat diet that replaces the true flavor of food with preservatives and chemically altered, counterfeit ingredients. In my opinion, we are barking up the wrong tree. There are countless other countries that consume animal products (including animal fats) in whole, unaltered form and thrive in health and wellness. They might have trouble with disease because of sanitation and over-crowding, but their diets consisting of whole foods do not hurt their bodies like ours do.

Have you had your dairy today?

I shall now step down from my soapbox.

PS- My post on rendering my own lard is coming soon!

3 comments:

Michele said...

Oh...I didn't know you got a kitchen aid....woohoo!

Thanks for the info Teri ;)

Michele said...

Oh...I forgot to say that your breakfast looks more like dessert to me! Yumm-o!!!

My kids LOVE oatmeal...the good old fashion kind, so I can't complain to much about that.

Amanda said...

Good post, Teri! I have always been dairy sensitive but while I was in New Zealand I could any dairy I wanted to. Now I think Maryn is getting a dairy sensitivity and I feel bad and don't know how to help her. Thanks for the ideas!