Sunday, March 21, 2010

Late Night Surprise

Josh was hunting overnight on Friday night and I was alone. I stayed up late into the evening reading my first several posts from this blog and came to a couple of conclusions that all go hand-in-hand:

1. I am SOO glad that I have this blog to look back on. I love that I can add text and pictures and video and have memories come back to life so effortlessly!
2. I really am kicking myself for the big chunks of time that I haven't blogged. I feel like I've already forgotten so much about my kids and funny stuff that they have said or done. I want to try and be more consistent with writing down my memories of my sweet and rambunctious little boys.
3. Hunter has really grown up!! Time is ticking by fast and I want to make the most of the time while he still sees hanging out with me as the best way to spend his time!

In light of all of this, around 11 pm I decided I would wake Hunter for an impromptu story reading party for two.

I warmed up some hot chocolate (which I usually never let him have...Daddy does plenty, though...) and quietly crept toward his bedroom to wake him up!!!
He was really hard to wake up as he was fast asleep when I walked in. I whispered, "Hunter...Hunter...do you want some hot chocolate? Do you wanna come in Mommy's room so we can read stories?" a couple of times before he woke up all the way. Once he came to and realized what I was saying, his eyes got big and wild with excitement and he jumped up out of bed and ran out his door! He found the chocolate milk and in his just-awoken stupor had a hard time getting the straw to go into his mouth.Hunter: Mmmmm....Mom!! Hot chocolate? What made you decide to give me this, Mom?
Mom: Because I love you! And I want you to know how special you are to me!!
On our way to Mommy's room to put our hot chocolate down.
Taking more sips in bed.
Setting it gently on daddy's night stand.
Raiding the bookshelf for lots of books to read. He took, like, 15 or so!
Making sure that bunny and T-Rex are covered and comfy before we begin.
Unfortunately, I was only able to get three books done before I was ready to pass out. But they were pretty long books, so all in all our story party for two (four if you count Bunny and T-rex) lasted 45 minutes or so. Waaay after we fell asleep Nathanael must have woken up and realized that his big brother Hunter wasn't in his room, so he came toddling in around 5:30 in the morning to check things out. After multiple kicks in my side and slaps in my face, the boys were up and raring to go an hour later.
I was as tired as all get out yesterday, but kept telling myself with every yawn that it was worth it!! And the lack of sleep didn't seem to affect Hunter at all....as evidenced by the savage-indian- going-through-a-pirate-identity-crisis that invaded his body for a better part of the day.
Hunter, you are soo tough when you dress up like a fighting pirate-indian! I'm so glad that you are just pretending or else I'd be pretty scared!

And Nathanael, I know that you wanted to be just like your big brother but we didn't have a pirate hat like your his for you, but I want you to know that mommy can't WAIT till you're old enough to enjoy having a late night surprise too!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

That is SOOOO cute! I can't wait to do something like that with Maryn someday.