Friday, November 28, 2008

Christmas getting to know you

Thanks for posting, Carly!!
WELCOME TO THE CHRISTMAS EDITION OF GETTING TO KNOW YOUR FRIENDS.


1. WRAPPING PAPER OR GIFT BAGS ?
Wrapping paper. I don't really consider myself very artistic, but I love to wrap a gift and do a big, matchy, fabric bow and put doo-dads on it. It takes me way too long though.

2. REAL TREE OR ARTIFICIAL ? Right now, artificial, but I'm not at all opposed to a real one. When I was single I had a real tree a couple of years in a row and the last year I perfectionistically decided that the Christmas tree lot dude didn't give my tree a good enough "fresh cut". Thanks, Martha. I borrowed my dad's chainsaw and proceeded to make my 6 1/2 foot tree into a 4 foot tree after a series of uneven cuts and the tree toppling over several times when I tried to set it up because I did such a cruddy job cutting it evenly. I almost chainsawed my leg off as well. Since then I've had an artificial tree.

3. WHEN DO YOU PUT UP THE TREE? Thanksgiving evening or the day after. And yes..my tree is up now!

4. WHEN DO YOU TAKE THE TREE DOWN?
Week after New Year's.
5. DO YOU LIKE EGGNOG ? I can take it or leave it depending on my mood. My husband, however, is an eggnogg-aholic.

6. FAVORITE GIFT RECEIVED AS A CHILD ? Cabbage Patch Kid or Strawberry Shortcake "Angelfood Cake" Baby Doll
7. HARDEST PERSON TO BUY FOR ? My husband because if you don't get him guns or ammo, he's pretty much disappointed. Guns and ammo are pretty boring (and scary to buy, thanks very much) if you ask me. I've never gotten him any. Poor guy. I'm a bad wife.
8. EASIEST PERSON TO BUY FOR ? My kids because they're too young to know
better.
9. DO YOU HAVE A NATIVITY SCENE ? Yes, we have a cheapy one with really tiny little characters that are choking hazards for Nathanael. Therefore, I'm in the market to find a new one. Preferably wood. I saw one on my friend Beth's wishlist for her kid on thingsiwant.com. Yes! Here it is! Isn't it cute? Although not wood, this Playmobil one is pretty cool too. Sorry...I'm so addicted to toy shopping right now. Ugh.
10. MAIL OR EMAIL CHRISTMAS CARDS ? Mail..if I get around to sending them. I've been horribly inconsistent over the years.

11. WORST CHRISTMAS GIFT YOU EVER RECEIVED ?
Strange, unattractive, mystery-material ornament from the dollar store that fell apart in two seconds.

12. FAVORITE CHRISTMAS MOVIE ?
A few: A Christmas Story, Elf, A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott
13. WHEN DO YOU START SHOPPING FOR CHRISTMAS ? I start thinking about Christmas gifts for next year the day after Christmas. I've been known to buy as early as August.

14. HAVE YOU EVER RECYCLED A CHRISTMAS PRESENT ? I was a teacher of middle schoolers for 4 years, so does that answer your question? Carly said no to this question. Hmmm...she was in the same boat as me receiving hundreds of "thoughtful" gifts from our hormonally challenged little darlings. Sister Carly...what did you do with all of your tokens of love???
15. FAVORITE THING TO EAT AT CHRI
STMAS ? Christmas cookies, of course
16. LIGHTS ON TREE ? as many as humanly possible
17. FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONG ? all of them. I particularly liked Hunter's version of Jingle Bells last year. He sang it until February or March. Right now I'm listening to Meli Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby. Any song Christmas song Bing sings is my favorite favorite.
18. TRAVEL AT CHRISTMAS OR STAY HOME ? We usually always drive to West Virginia. Last year was the first year we stayed home in 7 or 8 years. I was 6 months preggo and wasn't up to doing a 14 hour drive with a two-year old. This year we're back to our tradition. Hunter can't wait!!

19. CAN YOU NAME ALL OF SANTA'S REINDEER'S ? yes
20. OPEN THE PRESENTS CHRISTMAS EVE OR MORNING ? One on Christmas Eve and the rest on Christmas morning. There would always be a few under the tree on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning the amount of gifts tripled. We spend Christmas with Josh's family in West Virginia, though, and they open up pretty much everything on Christmas eve. It's definitely weird for me to do it that way..but oh well.
21. MOST ANNOYING THING ABOUT THIS TIME OF YEAR ? People who say, "Happy Holidays" to be politically correct instead of "Merry Christmas"

22. FAVORITE ORNAMENT THEME OR COLOR ?
I love pretty much anything Martha Stewart does with a Christmas stuff in general. My Christmas tree does not look anything like hers, however. I do have a lot of home-made ornaments from childhood that I like, though. Does that count? I'm also excited to do popcorn garland and/or paper ring garland with the boys when they get older.

23. FAVORITE FOOD FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER ? My grandma's green, gooey, fluffy, fruity stuff.

24. WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR ? An ipod classic
25. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND TO THIS?
Hmmm...Erin, Jen, Michele,
Rhonda, and Kara
26. WHO IS LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND ?
Beth and my cousins.
I'm gonna do like Carly and not tag anyone specifically, but know that I'd love to read all of yours!

In keeping with the Christmas theme of this post, here is a funny picture of Hunter and Nathanael with Santa. Hunter was kinda like, "Holy Cow. I'm sitting on Santa's lap. I can't believe this is truly happening. It's really him and I feel really weird." Nathanael was kinda like, "huh?"

3 comments:

Beth H said...

So you think I'm not a joiner?? Well, you're probably right. I might think about it, but usually, I just get a kick out of reading these. Guess I should fill one out once in a while.

Art Teacher said...

Believe it or not my friend I display many of those goofy gifts from middle school kids in some way, shape, or form . If I'm being honest though a lot of them got donated to the less fortuante when we moved! Because the less fortuante need a cheap ceramic nativity with Mary and Joseph's face painted on crooked.

Renee said...

Teri you are so on it with the recycled gifts from our lovable middle schoolers....