Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Wonders of Emu Oil

Many of you know that Nathanael has struggled with skin issues since birth due to food and other sensitivities. I have tried multiple things to remedy this as well as staying off of suspect foods while I nursed him. Amazingly, when he had to start on formula supplementation his skin cleared up nicely and I thought it was over with.
About two weeks ago, though, his skin started to flare up. You can see it starting in this picture:By the way...he still had dark hair in the above picture. Watch as it falls out and he becomes somewhat of a blond baldy baby... crazy.

By the time Halloween rolled around it was pretty flared up.

This is when I got desperate and remembered that my friend and doula, Phylis, had mentioned to me a while back that she had used emu lotion from Moes Soap Box on a kitten with a bad skin issue. She was amazed at how the kitten's scarred skin was restored. I went to the site ready to place my order and saw at the very end that it would take 3-4 weeks to process the order. I wasn't interested in waiting that long, so I googled my mom's town with the words "emu oil" and by God's grace found this Emu farmer who just happened to be selling his emu products at the farmer's market in my mom's town the very NEXT DAY! Woo hoo!!

I bought two kinds of their oil. This stuff which goes through a special refining process to make it more effective against inflammation and pain. My mom suffers from a really wicked burning foot pain and she's been to all kinds of doctors and nothing they've prescribed has worked. She's used the emu oil a couple of times now and thinks it's working pretty good.

Then I bought this stuff for Nathanael's face. It's just the regular old emu oil. I also bought him a bar of unscented emu soap. I started using it right away when I got it on Saturday, November 1st. By this day it had gotten really, really bad. The worst he's ever had. Here is a picture. Notice that he's become a baldy now.

I put the emu oil on his face about 2 or three times a day and used it very sparingly. Apparently, from what the nice farmer told me, a little goes a long way.

Here is a picture of two days later. You can't really tell by this picture, but it's starting to clear up at this point. Woo hoo!!
Two days later...teething, drooling, and happy.
And now, today. It's almost totally GONE! I kinda slacked on the application in the last day or so, because at $6 or so an ounce I'm trying to keep it a while. But don't get me wrong...I still have about 95% of the bottle left. SOOO worth it.

I hope this is helpful to someone. I can so empathize with parents who have to deal with this problem and their sweet little babies. You want to hide them under a blanket and sun shades on the stroller when you're out in public. I have done that before and have had people want to take a look at him while he's sleeping or something and watched the unsuspecting person kind of shrink back as if to say, "Man..what's wrong with that baby?" Maybe they're not thinking that exactly, but that's what it seems like. I'm so grateful to have found something that works AND that is natural. Hooray for Emu Oil and the amazing Creator that masterfully designed it to help my sweet baby's skin!!!!!!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oww poor little Nate:( His skin got so bad, could that also be from the cold drying out his skin?
I wonder what else that emu oil can fix?
Miss you, did you say that you are coming home on the 16th? That is a long time away :C

Anonymous said...

Wow! Praise God for all the good things he made that help us. That photo sequence is amazing! (Plus, he's such a cute little guy.)

Erin said...

wow - that is very interesting!!!!! thank you for sharing!

The Old Life said...

Wow! amazing! How's he doing with eating...finding good recipes?