I have been doing a lot of research lately on plastics and BPA and all that jazz. I have perused this website and what I found concerned me a little bit. When I go to pick up my organic produce at my blogger-hip-and-green-mom-friend Beth's house, she has all of these refreshing and simple, wooden toys for her toddler son about the house. Ahhhhhh....So, plastics have been on my mind, I finally began my procrastinating, wanting-to-remain-ignorant-on-the-issue research into it and found out all about how some leech chemicals into our foods and drinks. My biggest concern was that the pacifier both my boys used totally had/has BPA, not to mention 80% of Nathanael's teething toys. Now, I know that you can't totally dwell on this stuff or it'll make you crazy, and I can tell myself that, but it doesn't mean that I won't! So, to start I switched pacifiers to the Avent brand, which is supposed to not have BPA. I found this article outlining advantages of wood toys, and then gathered up a LOT of my plastic toys (especially the noisy ones) and got rid of them in a big lot on Craigslist. From now on I want my boys to have simple toys that inspire imagination, knowledge, creativity, and are guaranteed non-toxic. Thus furthering my dream to have "Little House On The Prairie" children...ehem....like that's gonna happen.
I have been having a ton of fun finding toys for the boys' thingsiwant.com wishlists for Christmas and their birthdays. You can see Hunter's here and Nathanael's here. Grandparents have asked in the past what to get for the boys for different occasions and this wishlist site is such a great tool to share with them. I also use it as a running list of things I'd like to get for myself, be it houseware stuff or books or whatever. What I love about this site is that you can add stuff from wherever on the web and people can mark it as "reserved" and get it however they want for you. They can order it from the website you listed it from, or get it at Target, or get a similar item, or whatever! I LOVE this site. And I love the grandparents who are so graciously getting things for the boys off of our wishlists! Thank you grandparents!
4 comments:
Are you home??
Thank you so much for the reminder!! And again giving me too much credit. I read your post earlier this morning and have since did a plastic purge myself and am preparing the friendly reminder to go out to relatives for the holiday season (which never seems to work on some!!). Maybe a not so gentle blog post with my real opinions (not my 'I don't want to hurt your feelings' niceties) will shake them up. They all read my blog, but it wouldn't be specifically addressed to them. HMMMM, ideas.
Looking forward to seeing you back too!
Ok....thank you for yet another thing for me to obesses and think about :-) No...seriously, I've spent some time looking at these sites, and they have been informative. I'm going to start paying more attention (and I'm going to go throw away my toxic bath duckie that Hannah chews on).
You know I do take it when I travel, it is not very big, maybe 7 inches wide and 3 high. It is a necessity! Or else I am listening to everything and wondering if it is someone trying to break into my house or something...I know I am weird :)
Post a Comment